Saturday, September 06, 2008

"Easy" But UNCOMFORTABLE Run

According to the run schedule, we were supposed to run a 40-60 min EASY run. I decided to go do that today which made this week my first 3-run week (ran on Sun and Wed of this week too)...

Anyways, I had calibrated my Nike+ on Wed but this was the first test to see how accurate that was. I went over to Drake today at about 3pm, thinking that it was going to be crowded. But it was totally empty and dead. There were only a few guys there, and for some reason today was "take your shirt off while you run" day haha.

I put on sunscreen before I left but as I was getting there, my inner right forearm felt like it was burning. So I reapplied some sunscreen before I left my car. I wonder if my sunscreen wasn't very good or if it was just an intense time of the day (I usually don't run around that time).

Anyways, I ran 18 laps in Lane 6 (479 yds/lap) but for some reason I ran on the very VERY outer edge of it (practically on the line separating 6 from 7). It was an easy run, but also a very UNCOMFORTABLE one too... which made it hard in that way. I had my sleeves rolled up so that I could tan my arms, but they kept getting undone. So for about 40 minutes, I ran and constantly re-rolled my sleeves up. Also, it was just burning hot at that time and I was concerned that I was getting sunburned (even though I had sunscreen on). Since it was burning, I was sweating profusely which made things nasty. Also, before TNT I never really wore sunscreen while I ran... but today I did and my sunglasses kept slipping off my face because of the lotion. And, because it was so hot, my sunglasses would fog up. The sweatiness made the sunscreen go into my eyes and it stung. I had to wipe it away and it was all difficult while carrying an iPod, cell phone, car key, and while wearing headphones.

So while 40 minutes of running with TNT with people is super easy, running 40 minutes alone by yourself at the track is really hard! My goal was to last that long and I did so I was happy.



Anyways, here's my per lap time...
Lap 1: 2:03.66
Lap 2: 2:10.77
Lap 3: 2:09.29
Lap 4: 2:14.41
Lap 5: 2:14.47
Lap 6: 2:13.31
Lap 7: 2:16.68
Lap 8: 2:16.57
Lap 9: 2:16.04
Lap 10: 2:20.35
Lap 11: 2:21.95
Lap 12: 2:23.23
Lap 13: 2:22.56
Lap 14: 2:25.35
Lap 15: 2:21.51
Lap 16: 2:23.54
Lap 17: 2:24.04
Lap 18: 2:21.31

If you add all that up, you'll notice that it does not equal 41:07, but 41:19... what the heck? I said it before, but either my iPod isn't keeping accurate time or my cell phone or both.

Also, you'll notice that when I wore the Nike+ on the other running shoes, it always short-changed me. This time it seems to be the opposite but a little more accurate (the variation isn't as big).

Anyways, after the run Tiger Woods told me over the iPod that it was my fastest pace per mile... but I'm not going to totally believe that because it seemed to have said that I did more miles in an amount of time that might be shorter than what it really was. My pace was probably 8:25 or so if I had to guess.

Anyways, time to go to sleep and do more running tomorrow at 7am!
---Andrew =)

No comments: